What kind of specialist treats dermatomyositis?


My wife was diagnosed with dermatomyositis two years ago. We want to see someone at Johns Hopkins while we are in DC, but we are at a loss as to which specialty is best suited to help us — is it rheumatology, orthopedics, or dermatology?


Dermatomyositis is managed by rheumatologists, but often help with diagnosis is provided by the neuromuscular clinic or dermatology. There is a specialty clinic for dermatomyositis at Johns Hopkins. More information can be found by visiting the Myositis Center Web Site – http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/myositis/.”

Alan Matsumoto, M.D.

About Alan Matsumoto, M.D.

Part-time Faculty, Division of Rheumatology
Johns Hopkins University