RA and tender hips


I have RA and I have not been able to find the right medications that work for me. My hips a very tender. It is hard to sit down because they are so tender. Is there any thing that I can do to reduce how tender they are? Should I try ice?


Review your symptoms with your rheumatologist. It is likely that your pain is not coming from your true hip joints, but from the soft tissues around the hips, possibly the trochanteric bursa at the lateral part of the hip. Often, heat, physical therapy and injections of steroids help considerably.

Alan Matsumoto, M.D.

About Alan Matsumoto, M.D.

Part-time Faculty, Division of Rheumatology
Johns Hopkins University