Lyme diseaes


My 78 year old mother has Lyme Disease and has developed rheumatoid arthritis that is debilitating. She lives in Pensacola, Florida and would like to find the best doctor to treat this problem. Her current rheumatologist initially administered steroid injections which we have later learned is contraindicated with Lyme. She has since developed steroid induced glaucoma so we do not want her to have any further steroid treatment. She is seeing a Lyme specialist but would like to more specifically address the very painful arthritis symptoms that are not improving with IV antibiotics. Will you kindly recommend a specialist in the area of Northwest Florida/South Alabama area? Thank you!


HI Susan,

Your mother does sound complicated.  For this reason, I would suggest that you try to find a rheumatologist, not based on geography, but based on expertise.  Usually, a university based program will be better able to serve the complicated patient best, as they tend to see more complicated cases than the rheumatologists in private practice.  University of Florida and University of Alabama are programs that I would highly recommend.  There are many excellent rheumatologists at each facility.  YOu could get an appt for your mother with any of them.  Good luck !!

Joan Bathon, M.D.

About Joan Bathon, M.D.

Dr. Bathon was a Co-Deputy Director of the Division of Rheumatology at Hopkins Bayview. She was also the founder and director of the Hopkins Arthritis Center.