- Associate Professor of Medicine, Divisions of Rheumatology and Allergy, Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University
- Director, Johns Hopkins Arthritis Center
- Co-Director, Rheumatic Diseases Research Core Center
- Director, Johns Hopkins Arthritis Website
- Rheumatoid Arthritis, Spondlyoarthritis, Other forms of Inflammatory Arthritis, and Osteoarthritis
- Patient reported outcomes in arthritis
- Patient and health care provider education
Dr. Bingham’s research interests are focused on identifying pathophysiologic mechanism-based disease phenotypes, which will accelerate the development of targeted therapeutics for inflammatory arthritis including rheumatoid arthritis (RA), psoriatic arthritis (PsA), and osteoarthritis (OA). His initial research was focused on laboratory-based studies evaluating mechanisms of cytokine regulation of eicosanoid biosynthetic pathway enzymes. He then transitioned to a clinical- translational research focus with extensive experience in the design, conduct, and analysis of clinical trials of new therapies for RA, OA, and other autoimmune diseases. He is a member of the Executive Committee for the international Outcome Measures in Rheumatology Clinical Trials (OMERACT) group. He was a member of the recent international group that has revised the classification criteria for RA, permitting the diagnosis of earlier disease to facilitate treatment with disease modifying agents.
His current research focuses on defining clinical and biochemical disease phenotypes related to therapeutic responses in RA and OA, developing rational clinical trial designs to test new treatments, improved patient reported outcome measures, novel imaging modalities for arthritis, and oral health in inflammatory arthritis.
He has authored more than 65 original articles, reviews, and editorials, 12 book chapters, several topics in UpToDate in Medicine, and more than 80 abstracts. A listing of some of these publications can be found by clicking on this link.
- M.D.: Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY
- Internship and Residency (Internal Medicine): Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center, New York, NY
- Post-doctoral Fellowships (Rheumatology, Allergy and Clinical Immunology): Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston, MA
- American College of Rheumatology (ACR)
- Osteoarthritis Research Society International (OARSI)
- Outcome Measures in Rheumatology (OMERACT)
- Co-Editor, Arthritis and Rheumatism
- Associate Editor, Clinical Care in the Rheumatic Diseases (3rd Edition)
- He has been active in American College of Rheumatology and Arthritis Foundation committees and has chaired meetings, study groups, and grant review sections.